Crazy Fruit Adventure: Dragon-fruit

So I am back today to share another crazy fruit that was new to me. A few weeks ago I was doing my weekly shopping and I was looking for Apricots which were on sale for a great price. Imagine my surprise to turn  to see not orange Apricots, but bright red, exotic looking Dragonfruit!  Of course I grabbed one and at over $5 a piece that was a bit pricey but how could I say no.



Dragonfruit or Pitaya are apart of the cactus fruit family and come in several different varieties. The one I purchased was a white flesh variety but I have seen red flesh as well. The flesh is soft and filled with tiny crunchy black seeds; similar to a kiwi. The flavor is described as mild and sweet. With thick red skin against the white flesh and dark seeds it makes for a very eye pleasing nom.

Before I go into the tasting of the Dragonfruit let me mention that I am not unfamiliar with cactus fruit. Living in Texas and having made a few trips to Mexico growing up I have had the occasional delicious purple fleshed Prickly Pears or "Tuna" as they are sometimes called. These fruits are very sweet and sometimes a bit tart. I will admit my expectations were influenced by my fond memories of this prickly delectable. 

After chilling in the fridge I sliced the Dragonfruit down the middle and just ate it right out of the skin. I will say the texture was very nice, like a very juicy kiwi . Taste wise it was quite bland, with very little sweetness or specific flavor. I would probably go for this again if I were feeling sick and needed to eat plain food it would probably be perfect. All things considered; I have come to the conclusion that I like looking at Dragon fruit much more than I like eating them. It's just a little too expensive where I am from to have so little flavor especially when Prickly Pears are more readily available.

Hope this was interesting to someone with an eye for eye catching fruit like my self!  Bye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Allure Beauty Box| November 2018

Ipsy Bag November 2018

Baby Steps to Reducing Waste